Staff Redundancies Case Study: Westminster Academy
Client: Westminster Academy located in central London opened in 2006 and specialises in International Business and Enterprise, preparing students aged 11 – 19 for their future professional careers.
Situation: Tailored career coaching and outplacement services for staff redundancies
The Senior HR specialist recognised the importance of supporting long serving and dedicated staff to prepare and confidently transition this career hurdle.
Redundancies whilst a common theme in our society today is a truamatic experience for all. The future prospects seem bleak and the lack of security for the future could trigger a personal crisis with regards to self esteem and confidence to manage the change.
- During a confidential and indepth consultation the HR specialist shared the backgrounds of those affected and their specific needs were discussed at length. Understanding the nature of their service history as specialist Teaching Assistants and support adminsitration demonstrated a dedication to WestminsterAcademy and its students.
The following career coaching support plan was designed and delivered as a response.
- A bespoke interactive support seminar. Delivered to small groups of 15 attendees providing guidance on:
- Preparing for change in their personal circumstances: overcoming the resistance to this change and understanding the emotional impact that this job loss would have on them & their loved ones.
- Understanding their professional approach, market value, experience and transferable skills.
- Exploring their next step options such as seeking a new job within education, changing sectors, changing careers, taking a career break or selecting early retirement.
- Prioristing the need to plan ahead.
- The purpose of the CV to market themselves effectively.
- The Do’s and Don’ts of a modern CV.
- Job seeking options: Recruitment firms, online applications, networking and direct prospecting.
- Personal confidence and communication effectiveness.
- Successful interview techniques.
- Power of open questions & answers to influence.
- 1:1 coaching providing CV reviews, exploring career options and addressing their concerns related to self confidence, self limiting fears and marketing themselves.
Delivering this bespoke programme was in direct alignment to the value that each staff member had given to WestminsterAcademy. http://www.westminsteracademy.net/
The staff who participated and received the coaching support appreciated the specialist knowledge and skills shared with them. They had the opportunity to take stock of their situation and proactively choose to start steering their professional options.
The one to one coaching provided a confidential safe haven to acknowledge their emotions such as anger, grief, fears and anxieties. It also provided the opportunity to think out loud, explore ideas and plan for the future with confidence and without judgement.
Overall, the feedback was extremely positive. Each person impacted valued the investment in them and their future. They reported increased confidence and clarity by preparing themselves for the challenges and difficulties they may face in the inevitable change ahead.